'If you have a dog, you will most likely outlive it; to get a dog is to open yourself to profound joy and, prospectively, to equally profound sadness.' Marjorie Garber

Tuesday 7 August 2012

Once in a Lifetime Part One



A once in a lifetime experience...
That's a phrase I've heard and used a lot recently.

The first time I said it this year was way back in May, when the anticipation of waiting for the Olympic Torch was just so exciting.

Even though it was all over in a flash, I can say I was there. A once in a lifetime, unique, experience.
Can I claim it was unique when I shared it with thousands of people, young and old?
Yes, I think so, it will never be an event that I am likely to see again, not here in my country, in my town, on my doorstep.
History.

Then in June, we celebrated the Queen's Diamond Jubilee; another occasion that will never come around again.


The whole country seemed to be decorated with union flags and bunting. I don't remember it being so obvious during the Silver or Golden Jubilees.



We celebrated the Jubilee weekend with a huge feast at my sister's house...

We ate and drank far too much.



And on Jubilee Tuesday, we caught a coach to London and joined the masses in the rain. But everyone smiled...

and waved flags and cheered...






despite having to view the Queen on a big screen in St. James Park, because we couldn't get anywhere near the Palace; the streets of London were packed!





We did have a fantastic view of the Red (White and Blue) Arrows from the park.

Yet another day that can never be recaptured...







And this fantastic image appeared on the wall opposite the Childrens' Hospital in Bristol, where once had been a Banksy of a boy about to pop a bag behind a police marksman, and then the Eton Posse, David Cameron and Boris Johnson rioting! 


Who knows if it's a Banksy or not, who really cares? It is a once in a lifetime image of the Queen.

So that brings me to the middle of June, and the middle of the summer. Very soon 2012 will be a once in a lifetime too.

I'll fill you in on the past two and half months in my next post...












2 comments:

  1. yes, it was one of those special events... great photos capturing the mood... Love Helen

    ReplyDelete