'If you have a dog, you will most likely outlive it; to get a dog is to open yourself to profound joy and, prospectively, to equally profound sadness.' Marjorie Garber

Thursday 7 February 2013

Turning Japanese

One person's junk is another person's treasure...

I think I have mentioned before that I am a huge eBay fan. I have bought many things over the years, ranging from knitting yarn, 1960s Sindy dolls, tatty chairs to designer bathroom fittings. Most are treasures to me, but some things when they arrive are a disappointment. But then I guess that is part of the thrill of eBay, never quite knowing whether you are buying a genuine Renoir or a painting-by-numbers.

Now, because of this addiction to eBay, and believe me, it is an addiction, I have rather a lot of, well, stuff! 

'Clutter', Hubby would say, but then he is a bit of an eBay addict too. So I've decided I need to find homes for this 'stuff'. No, I am not about to give it all away here on my blog, (but I am planning a little giveaway soon). No, I need homes here, in my home, if you get my drift.

So I thought what I need are a few attractive trunks and boxes to store my chattels. And where did I look first for such trunks and boxes?

Yes, you guessed it. EBay, of course!

And here is my first purchase. A bargain! A Steal! A Steel Japanned Travelling Trunk complete with vintage stickers. I collected it from a lovely country house near here. It came complete with the whiff of dung and a few decades of dirt, but I just know it will be perfect. Just what 'japanned' means, I have no idea. The gentleman selling it said he used to play with his farm animals in it when he was a little boy, presumbably he meant his toy farm animals!










I think it's sad that someone should keep something for so long, maybe forty or fifty years, because it was once precious to him and then decide to part with it for a song on eBay. Never mind, his change of heart is my good fortune, I guess.

Now, I actually collected this before Christmas but I am at a loss as to how to clean it without ruining the stickers; two have already peeled off because of my attempts. Thankfully, the smell seems to have faded, (or maybe I'm just used to it now). However, it is still very grubby. So please do let me know if you have any idea as to how to clean it. 




5 comments:

  1. I've no idea how to clean it either....sorry. But oh my, it's beautiful! Brilliant buy and perfect place to store your "treasures".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendz,
    It is beautiful, isn't it?!
    It's always lovely to hear from you :)
    Take care,
    S x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the trunk, so much character but I have no idea how to clean it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire,
      How lovely to hear from you!
      The trunk does have lots of character. I can imagine being on a Grand Tour of Europe with a trunk like this :)
      So glad you are back in Blogland!
      Take care, S x

      Delete
  4. Hi,

    I have just come across your site somewherewestofcentre.blogspot.com and would be really interested in chatting to you further about some advertising opportunities and partnerships that would be mutually beneficial for us.
    We work with a wide range of publishers in your niche and would like to also begin working with you.
    Please get in touch if you would be interested in discussing possible partnerships.

    Look forward to hearing from you soon,

    ReplyDelete