'If you have a dog, you will most likely outlive it; to get a dog is to open yourself to profound joy and, prospectively, to equally profound sadness.' Marjorie Garber

Sunday 12 February 2012

'L' Plates


Yes, you got it right! 
It was my birthday, of course, but not just any birthday... my FIFTIETH!
Shock, horror - it definitely took me by surprise anyway!

But do you know what?
Despite the fact I am now in my sixth decade, (gulp), I am loving my life at the moment.
I feel healthy; 
I finally feel comfortable with myself, after years of chopping and changing hair colours and styles; of dipping in and out of various fashions; of fighting and not fighting the flab, (wow, that phrase definitely dates me); of following and adopting various political and social stances only to be disappointed with the final outcome; and of feeling the need to talk without my West Country accent!
Why?

It is all nonsense, I know.
The things that matter are that:
I have a wonderfully supportive extended family;
I have a beautiful home and a dog who every day becomes more and more adorable;
I am immensely proud of my girls and last but not least, I have a lovely hubby, who still at times makes me feel like I am 20!
So I raise a toast to myself on reaching fifty and as to the next half century, (we can but hope), I say:
"BRING IT ON!"


14 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Sue. You look gorgeous. I'll be joining you in a few years and hope I can be as positive about the big 5 0 as you are.
    Lovely pics too btw x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kylie!
      I had a lovely day, in fact, a lovely weekend and now it's back to the normal routine again.

      Delete
  2. Happy Birthday, you have a fab attitude. I am approaching 40 is less than a year and feel exactly the same xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Clare,
      I'm just continuing to be me really.
      After all, I feel just the same at 50 as I did at 49.
      I remember being quite apprehensive about reaching 40 but when the Big Four Oh arrived, I thought 'I quite like this, it's not that bad after all!'

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! You both look so happy in those photos. Just lovely.

    I'll be 46 in a few weeks - so not too far to go to 50 - oh man that just sounds so weird. On every level.

    But hey - if I can be as happy and content as you are then bring it on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendz,
      Yeah, it does sound so weird saying "I'm 50" but I'm getting used to it!
      Next stop, 60!!
      Wow, that is scarey!

      Delete
  4. Sue,Glad that you had a lovely 50th birthday, I am not that far behind you, where does the time go.

    Best wishes.
    Jx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jayne,
      It's lovely to hear from you again.
      Thanks, I had a really nice day :)
      It does seem as though the older I get the faster time flies!

      Delete
  5. You look fab at fifty ! I feel just like you. To be happy with one's self can be a struggle but I feel I'm getting there !
    Glad you had such a happy birthday & are feeling so positive !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penny, I'm so sorry but I thought I had replied to your lovely comment already but clearly I haven't! It must be my age :P
      Thanks so much and Happy Birthday to you too :)

      Delete
  6. Yes!
    Bring it on indeed !!
    Great photos :-)
    Happy Birthday plus five days to you, Happy Birthday plus five days to you, Happy Birthday dear Sue, Happy Birthday to you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Such a lovely blog post !!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your lovely comment, Josie,
      You had me singing along then!
      Take care x

      Delete
  7. you look lovely and what better than to feel a sense of well being and self possession! Congratulations. Love Helen, Darcy and Bingley xxx
    PS. it may just be me with my dreadful eyesite, but I find your new font difficult to read... - perhaps I need to go to specsavers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Helen :)
    Thanks for your lovely comments.
    The font is a bit flowery, isn't it, but I didn't actually set this font - it happened by accident!
    I'm having quite a few technical issues! My trusty laptop is temporarily dead and I'm replying to comments on an iPad at the moment, but as soon as Old Trusty is sorted, I'll switch back to a more reader friendly font! Promise xxx

    ReplyDelete